On Wednesday I took my youngest to children's hospital for several
appointments. She's having surgery soon and needed to be cleared for
that. We received some very good news--the repair she needs for a
secondary SN is expected to be a lot less complicated than originally
thought; the complication with the Contegra implant -- scar tissue build
up where it is stitched to her lungs -- healed itself! We are very
grateful for all of this and more. . .
We have a rule about candy
in my family. The kids must cut it in half, and smaller if need be.
When we're on the road, we bite it in half and keep only half in our
mouths at a time. Well, we were called in by the nurse for our
cardiology appointment just as Lilah was putting a mento in her mouth.
We made it as far as the hall, outside the exam room, with me holding
her hand the whole way, when I realized she was in distress. Two
doctors, a nurse, a PA, the Hiemlich, which wasn't at first working, and
a code blue before that candy tumbled out into my hand. I am still
shaking, two days later. My daughter clung to me for hours afterward and
initiates conversations with me, expressing her fears about it.
Someone
at work was surprised that we still cut the candy down to smaller
pieces--Lilah will be 6 in a few weeks. Yes, we do. We were distracted
Wednesday. We cut it down for my 8 year old, too, and sometimes for my
12 year old. And I hope you will, too. Three years ago the doctors in
that hospital saved my daughter's life with what seemed like ease
considering the severity of her condition, and on Wednesday I watched
them struggle to do it again.
Friday, June 12, 2015
Candy
Posted by Suzanne at 8:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment