BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 1, 2012

China Day 5

I would like to begin this post with a little whine. I miss my girls at home. SO SO much. I miss my mom and my sister. It is so incredibly hard to be away from home. While I live in the moment, discovering who my new daughter is, delighting in her silly games and precious sweetness (this morning, when I woke her up, she took my face in her hands and laughed as though she were completely delighted with me. She also called me Mama today for the first time:)) Still, it's hard. I want my whole family together.

And for the purpose of documentation, I also miss:
singing in the shower and brushing my teeth normal
crossing the street without fear
food (Traveling alone means I have to be even more careful about what I eat. What I know is safe is getting old. The other mom in the group who is also traveling alone commented today that she really needs to get home just so she can eat. Neither one of us can stomach eating at McDonalds and Pizza Hut--where we had our only full meal since arriving--is waning in its appeal)
unfiltered sunshine
the cool ocean breeze
being ignored (so, I knew I'd be the focus of some attention, being American and blonde, but add the shiner and I am constantly gawked at)
salad
fruit
American medicine

OK, I'm done.

I am also MORE THAN HALF WAY HOME!!
I left last Saturday (lost a day when we crossed over the international dateline) and have 5 more days in country.

Today we went to the jade market and I got some awesome gifts for the girls. We also visited a buddhaist temple and a mall. I'm not a shopper and the outing went on a bit long, especially as we were nearing lunch. Lilah ended up having apricots and cream ice cream for her lunch, because by the time we got back to the hotel, we were at the start of the official lunch time (lasts 2 hours here) and every place was PACKED). So, I decided to put her in the carrier and hoof it over to the Friendship store for supplies (we were out of noodles!) and she fell asleep strapped to me. She's still dozing on the bed now. When she wakes up I'll taker her over to McD for a happy meal.

Tomorrow we have visa photos and paperwork and Lilah's medical exam. Sunday is a free day. Monday we go back to the clinic to have the TB test read (pray for negative!!) and then Tuesday is our consulate appointment. We should have paperwork in hand by Wednesday aftyernoon.

 Last night I was repacking the suitcase (yes, I really am so ready to go home), when Lilah saw this travel magna doodle--I didn't plan on giving it to her until the plane ride. Anyway, she knew exactlty what it was and how to use it.
 At the jade market.
 Yeah, I have a lolli. . .
 and all is well.

At the mall.

0 comments: